November 28, 2019 @ COSTI Immigrant Services
On November 28, 2019 the Employment Resource Connections Action Group facilitated a successful event for 65 front-line settlement and employment staff at COSTI Employment Services. The half-day event, themed “Preparing Newcomers for Success in the Canadian Workplace,” featured a keynote presentation from coach, award-winning author and Professor Gabriela Casineanu.
Gabriela’s presentation, “Job Search for Introverts,” informed attendees how to effectively work with introverted and shy newcomers. She discussed the reasons why introverts require different approaches to job hunting and how to build upon introvert strengths.
After Gabriela’s informative presentation, Yasmeen Tian, TWLIP Manager, presented ERCAG’s Employment Flyer Bank video titled: A Simple Solution to Improve Client Services through Effective Information Sharing and Referrals.
ERCAG member Peter Paul from Humber College, then facilitated a dynamic panel discussion with four diverse sectoral HR representatives:
- Christine Dubois, Senior Recruiter, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- Dmitri Stupak, the North American Talent Acquisition Programs Manager, IBM
- Reinaldo James, Community Engagement Specialist, One Toronto Gaming and
- Nick Ichim, P.Eng. Structural Engineer, N Drafting.
All the panelists provided honest, helpful and candid guidance on how staff can most effectively help newcomer clients access jobs and effectively integrate into the workforce.
The event evaluation responses were extremely positive. 60% of attendees provided feedback; 97 % who responded said the ERCAG event was either excellent or good.
- Everything was excellent, valuable and well prepared.
- Well organised and engaging speakers
- Continue to offer opportunities such as these for service providers to learn and network
- Well done
- Keep it up.